1. Welcome to kiwibox

    We're happy that you are part of our community. Please take a few minutes discover how kiwibox works.

    You want to explore kiwibox on your own? No problem. You can easily restart the tour at any time by using the sidebar if you change your mind.

  2. Logo

    A click on the kiwibox Logo brings you back to the startpage. Besides a menue with a lot of useful links opens if you mouse over.

  3. Notifications

    You may find all of your news, friendship requests and messages up right in the navigation bar.

  4. Settings

    Just mouse over a post and the gearwheel will appear. Here you'll find all the settings for your news.

  5. Supermodul

    The supermodul summarizes various contents. Enjoy exploring!

CynthiaMadison

CynthiaMadison   , 37

from New York

Can household mould affect your health negatively?

Mould and damp are common issues that most people encounter in their homes. Usually, persons who live in such environment and do not take the right measurements to get rid of it will face tremendous consequences. At first, it may seem like mould is not as dangerous as people say, but once you’ll suffer from diverse respiratory affections or struggle with breathing the air in your house you’re going to understand the risks and the necessity of getting rid of it. Keep in mind that mould is not only unpleasant to see, but also very unfavorable to health. In order to lead a comfortable life, a person has to breath fresh, healthy air.

Otherwise, allergies and other affections would be happier than ever living inside your body. Identifying and getting rid of the cause that’s responsible for mould apparition is a must to change the way you live. Maybe you want to sell a property and it is infested with mould. What do you do then? You are required by law to inform a potential buyer that the house is full of mould since it can raise medical issues. The moment they will hear about this problem, the owners will immediately rethink their option. You will eventually have to lower the price so much that the value of the house is almost worthless. Such an initially small inconvenience can turn into a big problem if left undealt with.

 6605838773088903536.jpg

Health Issues That Occur When Mould Is Present

Many people believe that mould cannot be the main cause of certain medical affections. The truth is that mould can trigger various types of allergies and different respiratory diseases. Mould spores represent a kind of microorganisms (part of the mushroom family) which are responsible for the decompose of organic materials in nature (rotting plants, wood etc.). Mould spores are not initially visible to the eye, but when they receive enough nutrients from the environment and come in contact with moisture or damp, they develop into the shape of mould as you know it – grey and unpleasant. Mould can be fed with any material that’s made of wood, with paints and adhesives (reason why you’ll notice mould on walls mostly).

A damp environment is the perfect opportunity for mould to develop. A slightly above-average humidity inside your house will favor the apparition of mould. People are exposed to mould spores in the outside environment, but when inhaling them daily inside the house, the risks of catching a disease are tremendously increased. Mould spores can also reach inside a house through open windows, doors and heating/ventilation systems. They can be transported by pets or even on clothes and shoes. Once inside the house, spores will multiply under damp conditions. The most common hosts of mould are the bathroom and the kitchen, but if water infiltrates through the ceiling or walls, mould can multiply right on the spot. Materials like cellulose, ceiling tiles, carpets or upholstery can also influence the apparition of mould inside a house.

Mould itself is neither toxic nor poisonous. However, certain types of mould can produce mycotoxins that, once inhaled, cause allergic reactions and chronic respiratory diseases. The most common signs of an allergic reaction include rashes, sneezing, runny nose, coughing, red eyes, irritations etc. If a person is allergic to mould spores, they can cause asthma or even seizures. It is highly important to run an air quality testing every now and then, to make sure everything is alright with the air you breathe.

How Can You Get Rid of It?

6605838821246377188.jpg

The simplest way to prevent the multiplication of mould inside a home is keeping the environment dry enough. A damp room is the main cause of mould apparition. From time to time, check if there is no leakage through the roof. Always choose washable paints with an anti-mould formula included. Invest in a good dehumidifier to eliminate all the excess humidity inside a room. An air humidifier is recommended when the atmosphere is too dry. If your windows are not isolated, make an upgrade and purchase efficient thermal windows that create a barrier between the outdoors and indoors. Try to avoid drying laundry inside a room. Use an electric dryer or choose a ventilated place.

Since the bathroom is the most exposed to mould, you should plug in a fan and let the air circulate and eventually dry up. A good ventilation system should do the job as well. Never leave the water running down the mirrors or the shower doors after a steamy bath. Wipe everything down with a dry cloth. As for the kitchen, you are probably cooking quite often, and the steam released by all the pots on fire will condense upon the contact with the walls and transform into actual drops of water. Not paying attention to such details can lead to a sudden mould apparition. Install a hob and use it as often as possible. Check for sink leakages and repair any faults you noticed. Spilled liquids should be immediately wiped, and the countertop should never be damp.

6605838857935866230.jpg

In case of mould already appeared and you’re looking for solutions to get rid of it, start by cleaning up the affected surface. Hard surfaces, such as walls, can be cleansed by simply using a mixture of hot water and specially-purposed anti-mould products. On the other hand, porous surfaces will be compromised once they catch mould. Carpets, towels or clothes that are mouldy should be immediately thrown away, to prevent it spreading. Protect yourself whenever you work with mould. The inhalation or the contact with skin/eyes should be avoided by using rubber gloves, a facemask, and protective goggles. When a huge area of your house is affected by mould, the best option would be selecting a company that offers services in this direction. It might be more expensive, but you will get rid of mould for good. Avoid delaying solving this issue because it might get worse as time passes by. Take the right measurements to keep yourself healthy and comfortable in the place you spend most of your time – home.

Labels: